Monday, June 7, 2010

FEATURE ARTICLE - CREATIVITY CAN GROW RIGHT ALONG WITH YOUR CHILDREN - By Audrey Jeanne Roberts

My children are now grown and on their own, but when they were little I was determined to do what ever it took to be a stay-at-home-mom.  During the 80's that was definitely a counter-cultural position.  Today I would say things are very different. When I talk to young mothers I find it is a much-coveted, but rarely able-to-be-accomplished goal.

It was a different time and being at home was not particularly well supported.  Every mother I knew tried to convince me that I was "too talented" to waste those talents being at home. Others said, "How can you find fulfillment?" or "Oh my goodness I would be SO bored being home with my children!" But I found that being at home I had time to find my talents and develop them.  I had time to learn who I was and who I could become even as I was enjoying watching my children learn and grow.  I taught myself to paint in watercolors right alongside of their attempts with their own water color sets.

We were not rich and we often though how much easier it might be if I worked outside of the home to make ends meet.  Yet we both knew we only had one short season to raise our kids and decided to do what ever we could to let me be home during that season.  I had to be creative about finding ways to bring in money to make things a little easier.  That necessity fueled the need to find ways to make products I could sell at craft shows and out of those efforts a business and career was born.  My natural, undeveloped artistic talent, combined with the extra time being at home allowed me to read, create and play with my children, allowed me to develop gifts I'm convinced would otherwise never have come to the light.

Creativity blossoms when money is short! We found nearly new clothes at garage sales and spent 90% less than retail.  I learned how to upcycle before it was trendy.  I turned 99 cent a yard remnants into curtains, quilts or clothing.  We went ten years too long before replacing our old carpet -- but found it really didn't matter that much to us.  Neighbors drove new cars with big payments -- we drove old cars that were paid for.  In the end our home was well-cared for, creatively lovely to look at and more importantly a happy place for all of us. We grew together as a family.

Working creatively from home is not easy.  It means too many late nights and too little sleep! It means trying to figure out ways to keep your kids occupied while you try to make an urgent deadline. It often means that you cannot do all that you would like to do, and have to carefully select the best designs to pursue with what little time you have.  But your pay comes in smiles that light up your day, being there for that ten minutes of the day when your child REALLY needed you and hugs 'n giggles at the end of the day. As Visa says... "Those moments are priceless!"

I'm so excited that there are such wonderful ways for young creative individuals to pursue their careers today.  I wish that a companies like Zazzle and Etsy had existed when I started. Instead of spending long hours traveling away from home to craft shows, the marketplace is right in your own home.  There's nothing quite so satisfying than making money while you're at the beach playing or sitting on the floor reading a book to your child.  It takes a lot of time, effort and work -- but doesn't everything worthwhile?

I'm thrilled at the opportunities for young parents today.  As one who has now raised her children, I can tell you that you'll never regret a moment you spent with them, but you just may come to regret many of the moments you spent away from them.  Companies like Zazzle and Etsy are a fabulous way to grow as a person, develop a career and be there to help your children grow into the people they were meant to become.

Audrey Jeanne Roberts
Professional Portfolio of Audrey Jeanne Roberts
Audrey Jeanne's Expressions at Zazzle

No comments: